HYBRID & DISTANCE LEARNING IN GUIDANCE WITH
SPOKANE REGIONAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
Southside Christian School is working alongside with the Spokane Regional Health Department and we will continue to adjust and change our plans when we can.
Updated, as of 9/30/20, we were able to announce that Kindergarten-3rd grade students will be able to be on campus for in-person learning five days a week for full days (8:45am-2:30pm) starting on October 12th. Here is a video release with more information.
Our 6th-8th grade students will continue with learning from a distance, which is a sacrifice we’ll make for various reasons, or if school is open and a pod is temporarily closed due to a COVID exposure. Distance learning will be different from what we experienced this spring. This improved model that Southside teachers have been training for includes:
- Multiple live sessions with the teacher(s) each school day (see Sample Distance Learning Schedule below). The length of each session time will vary depending on the grade.
- Hands off approach for parents, student learning will happen with the guidance of teachers
- All school work will be completed in session or in a small group or with teachers and support staff between the start of the day and dismissal
- Live instruction, small and large group work, and independent activities
- Specific times scheduled for each subject
- Bible classes
- Virtual chapel each week
- Blended learning and some asynchronous (learning not at same time) instructional models for student support
- Set times for intervention, support, and connections for parents and/or students to meet with teachers
- Use of Google Classroom as our school-wide Learning Management System
- Chromebooks (laptops) for all students that have preloaded required software for immediate learning per grade and classroom monitoring software
- Intervention support as needed
- Enrichment experiences as supplements (PE, Music etc.)
Below are some features from our distance learning in Spring of 2020